Engineering Exam Back to Redneck / Back Home
sick and tired of hearing about how dumb people are in the South. We challenge any so-called smart Yankee to take this exam,
administered by the University of West Virginia Engineering Department:
1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that
will support a 10-pound possum.
2. Which of these cars will rust out the quickest when placed on
blocks in your front yard? A '65 Ford Fairlane, a '69 Chevrolet, a
'67 Chevelle, or a '64 Pontiac GTO.
3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20
gallons of shine produced per hour, how many car radiators are
required to condense the product?
4. A woodcutter has a chainsaw that operates at 2700 RPM. The
density of the pine trees in the plot to be harvested is 470 per
acre. The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14
inches. How many Budweisers will be guzzled before the trees are cut
5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented a charge of R-12
simultaneously, what would be the percentage decrease in the ozone
6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with
a field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is
16 feet. The porch floor is 1-inch rough sawn pine. When the porch
collapses, how many hound dogs will be killed?
7. A man owns a Tennessee house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow
with an average slope of 15%. The man has five children. Can each of
his grown children put a mobile home on the man's land and still
have enough property for their electric appliances to sit out front?
8. A 2-ton truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down a steep
slope on a secondary road at 45 MPH. The brakes fail. Given average
traffic conditions on secondary roads, what is the probability that
it will strike a vehicle with a muffler?
9. A coal mine operates in a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous
Area. The mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued
at the beginning of the 3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered
Camels will be smoked during the shift?
10. At a reduction in the gene pool variability rate of 7.5% per
generation, how long will it take a town that has been bypassed by
the Interstate to breed a country-western singer?
Back to Redneck / Back Home